Better ways to save money than cut benefits for asylum children
Liberal Democrat for Seekers of Sanctuary have responded to the HOME OFFICE CONSULTATION DOCUMENT ON " REFORMING SUPPORT FOR FAILED ASYLUM SEEKERS AND OTHER ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS".
We have objected to the very title of the document as well as the wording within it. It reads more like an article for the tabloid press than an official consultation document, putting options and asking opinions.
SAVING MONEY. As it appears to be their main concern to save money we have given 4 good and workable ways in which they can not only save money, but it will make lives much better for asylum seekers too.
- Giving the right to work;
- getting decision right first time;
- having alternatives to detention and having more constructive ways of working with asylum seekers;
- ending indefinite detention, saving £55 million a year for starters if alternative community based options used.
- Whilst the document talks of comparisons with Sweden, they have a completely different system there, including how detention works.
We also made points about the IMPACT OF FAMILIES if benefit rates were cut.
We asked for BETTER WAYS OF WORKING. Working collaboratively as in Sweden works well for all parties.
We explained in more detail the IMPACT ON PEOPLE NEEDING TO APPLY FOR BAIL creating real barriers for some people applying for bail, and listing problems that will be created.
We only hope that the Home Office will LISTEN to our concerns, and take up the positive suggestions to save money, and to respect the rights of those who have come to the UK to seek sanctuary with us, giving them dignity,treating them with humanity, and giving justice.